Posting Description: Simply put, we are at the intersection of people, transportation, and the environment with innovation running through our veins. A continued focus on the future is driven by each of our employees and powered by unstoppable determination. Here, every day you have the chance to see how your contributions and accomplishments impact the next generation of our vehicles. We’re currently looking for a Human - Centered Systems Design Researcher to join our team in Silicon Valley, CA.
Nissan is seeking a passionate and creative human-centered design researcher in the field of autonomous vehicle systems. The Human Understanding and Design (HUD) team delivers socially meaningful and business relevant research to the design of autonomous vehicles and autonomous vehicle systems. We are a small but influential team that uses ethnographic and video-based interaction analysis as well as experimental methods to understand the social and interactional aspects of road use practices across locations. We particularly contribute to Human-Machine Interfaces (HMI).
Our success comes from:
- Developing new knowledge in the area of vehicle-people interactions through detailed study.
- Prototyping concepts for human-machine interaction and communication.
- Adapting communications about our research to various collaborators and stakeholders.
- Steadfastly attending to the impact autonomous vehicle technologies have on those who interact with them directly and indirectly.
In this role, you will:
- Use your background in anthropology, sociology, cognitive science, design, human factors or related disciplines to design your research.
- Design, build and test concepts and prototypes.
- Deliver tangible research results.
- Collaborate with a team of fellow social science and human factors researchers, and with scientists, engineers, developers, designers in other fields of autonomous vehicle development.
- Manage engagements with outside collaborators, including universities and other firms.
- Develop and deliver presentations to colleagues, managers, and collaborators.
- Produce IP and publications.
- Maintain participation and visibility in relevant professional communities.
- Be involved in the dynamic and vital domain of mobility and transportation development.
We are looking for:
- Someone with a Masters in a social and design research related field, such as anthropology, sociology, science and technology studies, human factors, or HCI / HMI / HRI.
- Two years or more experience in applied research settings.
- A passion for developing technically relevant social scientific research results.
- Experience with ethnographic research and analysis of video data.
Proficiency in end-to-end applied research:
- From research design through planning, data gathering, analysis, and communicating results.
- Someone who enjoys working across functional and disciplinary bounds.
- A strong communicator;A collaborative and interdisciplinary researcher.
- Someone who takes initiative to make things happen.
- Someone who can work both independently and with others.
The ideal candidate would also bring:
- A PhD in a relevant field.
- Ability to translate between research findings and computational or algorithmic systems and models.
- Experience in mobility or automotive.
- Experience with physical prototyping.
- Experience in working in highly engineering-driven, technical environments.
- Knowledge of materials, lighting, sounds.
Welcome to an open lane of possibility. Put yourself in the driver’s seat and apply today.